Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Afghan

Possibly the world's simplest cookie.  Upon discovering them on the South Island in New Zealand, I was hooked.  Besides vineyard work (and I thank the hillside sites for without them, I may look a bit like a pear), I made it my mission to find the best in Central Otago - no easy feat.

They consist of, unless one decides to bastardize them, five - and only five - ingredients.  Yes, I understand shortbread cookies are unequivocal in their simplicity, however it is the Afghan's inclusion of one's necessary daily dose of chocolate that makes them unriveled the world over.  After devouring four or so of these over the course of a few weeks, I pondered their history.  Why the hell was the damn biscuit called an "Afghan"?  It seemed either obsurd or a lack of imagination resulting in a slightly racy label (no pun intended).  The complete abscence of a respectable provanance was frustrating after questioning many grandmothers, professional bakers, and fellow vineyard workers.  I immediately discarded the theory that such a scrumptious biscuit was named after a breed of dog.  Appetizing.   

Nevertheless, Afghans are enjoyed all the same - during a cooler season, in the middle of the night, immediately after waking, while listening to classical music, or as an excuse to interrupt your personal yoga session; these delights are brilliant alongside a steaming mug of black tea, coffee, or my personal favourite, a glass of 20-year Tawny Port (thanks Gigi!).   

Now you're salvating and waiting for me to show up on your doorstep in an apron with a dozen of these - not going to happen and I'd be willing to bet my life savings (which isn't much) that you'll never find these at your local bakery (unless the baker-mate happens to be from Down Under).  This leaves you no election but to crank on your oven and bake.  Don't mess with recipes online - head straight for Edmond's cookbook from New Zealand to experiece ectasy.  I always include a pinch of salt, brightening up nuances in the cocoa (and totaling the ingredient list to six - shoot me).  Note: The better quality corn flakes you use (if there is such a thing), the purer the result & most importantly, don't use a "mix" of any sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment